Conversations With/Dialogues On... (CWDO) is a series of conference calls and meetings organized for the purpose of sharing knowledge and learning among members, either on a one-time basis or as part of a series. CWDO is open to funders only. To download the Call Summary and read program and speaker bios visit our Conversations Series page. On this page you can listen to excerpts from the calls.
James Fahn explains why Internews works to support mainstream media journalists in Africa and around the globe to cover development issues, specifically lays out challenges journalist face in covering sustainable development issues. He also speaks about Internews initative to create an online, interactive map to chart environmental issues in Central Africa.
Speaker: James Fahn
David Akana discusses sustainable development issues in Central Africa. He lays out current problems associated with logging and the growth of palm oil agribusiness and climate change. He also speaks about Internews' initative to create an online, interactive map to chart environmental issues in Central Africa.
Speaker: David Akana
Q&A - Questions are summarized.
1. How would a funder best bring together journalist to cover an issue a foundation is funding in subsaharan Africa?
2. What are some examples of useful capacity building acitivies for journalists?
Speaker: James Fahn
3. Some funders are hesitant to engage commerical media or state media outlets, when should funders engage with mainstream media in a African community or country?
Speaker:James Fahn and David Akana
4. Can you give your prespective on how much progress there has been made toward the inclusion of more women journalists and the coverage of gender issues in Africa?
5. How does Internews approach media development of journalists in difficult settings like conflict or post conflict countries or in very rural areas?
6. How can funders connect to journalism networks in Africa?
7. How does social media fit into media development work of Internews and how useful is it in getting news on sustainable development issues?